Disability Benefits and Work
-Benefit Resources for Hoosiers with Disabilities

Home / Indiana Resources / Glossary / Site Map

Social Security Program Information

Social Security Disability Insurance

Supplemental Security Income

Self Employment



Tax Credits

Ticket to Work

















Welcome to the Indiana Disability Work Supports web site. This site is designed to help Hoosiers with disabilities understand how going to work will impact their state and federal benefits. Please feel free to browse through several of our topics and resources.

A picture of a man.

The  DISABILITY BENEFITS AND WORK website was conceived and developed through the efforts of Indiana’s disability community.  In 2004, numerous individuals with disabilities, family members, advocates, educators and rehabilitation providers, provided valuable recommendations on how to best develop informational materials. Supported by Indiana’s Family and Social Services Administration, Office of Medicaid Policy and Planning and funded through Indiana’s Medicaid Infrastructure Grant, this website provides basic information on federal and state work incentives and other resources that are helpful to individuals seeking employment. 

Please keep in mind that state and federal work incentives are complex. The information on the DISABILITY BENEFITS AND WORK web site contains only general information about the subjects described. While the information provided in this web site is valuable information, it may not apply to your particular situation. This web site is not intended to replace the expertise and assistance available through trained benefits counselors, such as the Community Work Incentive Coordinators available through Indiana Works, Work Incentives Planning and Assistance who are available to help individuals how work impacts each individual’s unique situation.

Tips for Beneficiaries Who Work:

Congratulations! You've taken that big step and have a job. There are some important things you should keep track of, and report to agencies, such as your local Division of Family Resources office, and the Social Security Administration. Here are some tips:

Know where your local Social Security Office is located as well as where your local Division of Family Resources office is located.

If you are planning to go to work or are working, it is important to notify agencies that provide you financial assistance (such as Medicaid, Social Security, Public Housing Assistance, Food Stamps, etc.). Before you contact any agencies you need to have the following information:

  • The start date of your employment,
  • Your employer's name, address and telephone number
  • About how many hours per week you will be working (even if it will vary)
  • Your hourly wage


1. Report your new job to your Social Security Administration Claims Representative (for both Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income). Find out how your Claims Representative wants you to report your income. It is important to write down the information for future refernce.

The Claims Representative may ask you to send your paycheck stubs for the previous month you worked to Social Security, or ask you to take them to the office. They need to see the original paycheck stubs. They will make a copy and return the original paycheck stub to you. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR PAYCHECK STUBS FOR YOUR RECORDS. You may also ask the Social Security Office for a receipt stating that you reported your earnings. This is called a work receipt (keep this receipt and your paycheck information in a file for future reference).

Reporting your earnings will ensure that you are not receiving money from SSA that you are not entitiled to and will help you avoid an overpayment situation.

2. Contact your local Medicaid, Food Stamp, and Housing Authority representatives to report your new job. Ask then how they would like you to report your earnings. Sometimes different programs have different rules on reporting income. Write down what each agency tells you so that you won't forget.

3. You should always respond to letters or phone calls from Medicaid, Social Security or other public assistance programs whn they request information.

4. Keep a notebook to record all of the conversations you have with caseworkers, claims representatives, or other public assistance personnel. Write down the names of the person you are speaking to, the date, the time, what was discussed and what you were told.

5. Keep good records by putting all records and papers into a file box. If you need them in the future, you will have better access to them.

6. You must report any changes to the Social Security Administration such as a change in amrital status, change of address or change in employment status.

7. Contact Indiana Works for free work incentives planning and assistance. It is important to be informed of the work incentive rules that may apply to your benefits and assistance.

Good luck on your job!

Hoosiers with disabilities are getting new jobs every day!


The Disability Benefits and Work website was funded by the Medicaid Infrastructure Grant (CFDA # 93.768)

This site is intended for informational purposes only. Individual situations vary widely and must be evaluated on an individual basis by Division of Family Resources eligibility caseworkers, or Social Security Claims Representatives and/or Indiana Works-Community Works Incentive Coordinators. Links from this site are provided to help people research various topics and do not constitute endorsements by the State of Indiana or its partners.