A picture of a woman.



Healthcare - Medicaid


Home / Indiana Resources / Glossary / Site Map

Social Security Program Information

Social Security Disability Insurance

Supplemental Security Income

Self Employment




Covered Services

Spend Down

Managed Care

Dual Eligibles - Coverage


Section 1619b Social Security Act

MED Works



Tax Credits

Ticket to Work




For people with disabilities, although the eligibility for Medicaid is similar to the eligibility for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), in Indiana, individuals must submit a separate application for Medicaid. To qualify for Indiana Medicaid for adults with disabilities or blindness, an individual must meet requirements for determination of a disability (a medically determinable impairment that is expected to last for 12 months or result in death) and have income and resources below certain levels.  

Medicaid for individuals who qualify as blind or disabled will allow a traditional recipient to have $1500 in resources and still be eligible for services. Couples may have $2250 in resources. Resources are defined as assets or things you own, such as cash (savings accounts) or things that can easily be converted to cash, such as cars, property, livestock, and life insurance that might have a cash value. Resources that are typically disregarded are a home (if it is your primary residence) or one automobile if it is used to drive to work or medical appointments.

To receive Medicaid, an individual must report all income, resources, in addition to their address, and any household changes to the caseworker at the Division of Family Resources (DFR). Accurate and complete record keeping is important to avoid any problems with reporting for Medicaid.






The Disability Benefits and Work website was funded by the Medicaid Infrastructure Grant (CFDA # 93.768)

This site is intended for informational purposes only. Individual situations vary widely and must be evaluated on an individual basis by Division of Family Resources eligibility caseworkers, or Social Security Claims Representatives and/or Indiana Works-Community Works Incentive Coordinators. Links from this site are provided to help people research various topics and do not constitute endorsements by the State of Indiana or its partners.