School Improvement focused Webinars
Improving School Behavior and Discipline
In 2009, the Indiana Legislature passed HEA 1419, which requires the Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) to develop a model evidence-based plan for improving discipline and behavior within schools. A deadline of July 1, 2011 was set for school corporations to develop their goals for implementing their evidence-based model discipline plan over a three year period. HEA 1419 outlines seven components which are requirements of the model plans. For more information on these components and the IDOE's requirements around submitting model discipline plans, visit their HEA 1419 site.
- What do we know about the effectiveness of school exclusion?
- How can zero tolerance best be used when it has to be?
- What are the effective alternatives to zero tolerance?
- To comply with applicable laws and
- To avoid inappropriate referrals to juvenile justice agencies.
- Provides an introduction to Schoolwide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports
- What is Schoolwide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (SW-PBIS)?
- How can SW-PBIS be implemented to improve student outcomes?
- What kinds of discipline data are needed?
- How can data be used to improve school disciplinary practices, including:
- Addressing inappropriately high rates of suspension or expulsion and
- Disaggregating data on the basis of race and ethnicity to determine the existence of disproportionality.
- Provides an introduction to the importance of school-based mental health services.
- What are school-based mental health services and what do they look like?
- What do schools need to begin developing a school-based mental health program?
- What is family engagement?
- What are the benefits of family engagement?
- How can family engagement be increased?
- What is family strengthening?
- How can access to family strengthening programs be increased?
- How can schools improve interagency collaboration?
- Provides an introduction to Systems of Care and the Wraparound Process
New Family Strengthening Resource
Guidance Videos from the Indiana Department of Education
- Disproportionality in Education
- HEA 1419 Guidance
- Culturally Responsive PBIS
- PBIS's Impact on Academics, Family Involvement, Dropout Rates, and Least Restrictive Environment