Research Scholaremail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brooke Harris Garad, Ph.D., joined the Center on Education and Lifelong Learning (CELL) in March 2018. Before joining the center, Brooke completed a doctorate in Education from The Ohio State University where she gained experience in qualitative and culturally relevant research methods/methodologies. Brooke has worked with preschoolers to graduate students, but teacher education is at the heart of her research and professional experience. In addition to teaching and conducting research in traditional, informal, and non-formal learning environments, Brooke has worked as a Teacher Educator in New York City and Djibouti, East Africa; an English Instructor in Grenoble, France; and an online English teacher for elementary school-aged children in China.
Download Curriculum Vitae
- The Ohio State University | Ph.D., Global Education and Multicultural and Equity Studies in Education | 2017
- Teachers College, Columbia University | M.A., International Education Development | 2005
- American University | B.A., International Studies; B.A. Philosophy
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Cultivating New Voices Among Scholars of Color Fellowship | National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) Research Foundation, 2016-2018
- Dissertation Research Fellowship, College of Education and Human Ecology | The Ohio State University, 2016-2017
Presentations & Publications
- Harris Garad, B. (2013). Spiritually Centered Caring: An Approach for Teaching and Reaching Black Students in Suburbia. In C.B. Dillard & C. L. Okpalaoka (Eds.), Engaging Culture, Race and Spirituality: New Visions. New York: Peter Lang*. *2014 American Educational Studies Association (AESA) Critic’s Choice Book Award
- Harris Garad, B. (November 2017). We came together on the idea of being ‘foreign’: Transcultural Pedagogies for Immigrant and Refugee Youth. Invited for the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) annual convention, St. Louis, MO.
- Harris Garad, B. (April 2016). Global Pedagogies: Learning from Immigrant Educators about Teaching Immigrant Youth. Invited for the Multicultural and Equity Studies in Education (MESE) Community Conversations. The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Areas of Expertise
- Culturally Sustaining Pedagogies
- Issues of Equity and Diversity in Education
- Global and International Education
- Qualitative Research
- Dr. Harris Garad speaks advanced French and intermediate Spanish.