PECS Level 1 Training
Jill Waegenaere, M.A., CCC-SLP
September 7 & 8, 2017 - A Two Day Workshop
Indiana Resource Center for Autism and
Pyramid Educational Consultants, Inc.
In Collaboration with MSD of Lawrence Township
The Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) is a language training package that is used to teach communication skills rapidly to those with limited functional speech. PECS promotes communication within a social context, without lengthy prerequisite training. Training in PECS begins by teaching a spontaneous request and goes on to teach additional communicative functions such as responding to questions and commenting. An added attraction for preschool children with autism and related disabilities is the high proportion of children who acquire independent speech. Participants will learn how to implement the six Phases of PECS, including attributes, through presenter demonstrations, video examples and role-play opportunities. Participants will leave the workshop with an understanding of how to implement PECS with individuals with autism, related developmental disabilities, and/or limited communication skills.
• The key Pyramid components to designing effective educational environments
• Strategies to create an abundance of opportunities for communication
• How to discuss in detail the Picture Exchange Communication System and its relationship to “traditional” training programs
• How to implement all six Phases of PECS with target individuals using a behavior analytic orientation
• The criteria for transitioning from PECS to other communication modalities.
Jill Waegenaere is a licensed Speech and Language Pathologist certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. She graduated from Michigan State University with a B.A. in Communication Science Disorders, and continued her studies there to earn her M.A. in Speech and Language Pathology. Prior to her employment with Pyramid Educational Consultants, Jill worked as a speech language pathologist for an Early Childhood Program. She has also worked in Early Intervention for the State of Illinois.
Disclosure: Jill Waegenaere receives compensation as an employee of Pyramid Educational Consultants, Inc. She has no relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
Dates & Location
- Date: September 7 & 8, 2017 (This is a 2 day workshop)
- Hosted by and Location: MSD of Lawrence Township, 6501 Sunnyside Road, Indianapolis, IN 46236
Cost and Details of Workshop Day
The registration fee for this workshop is $375. This fee includes all materials and a manual ($76 value).
The workshop is scheduled from 8:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. (local time) with registration beginning at 7:30 a.m. Lunch will be on your own. Registration fee does not include travel, meals or accommodations.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is designed for general and special education teachers, administrators, autism consultants, speech therapists, psychologists, family members, ABA therapists, and people working with individuals diagnosed with ASD and other related disabilities.
Consumer Investment Funds
For information on Consumer Investment Funds for family members or individuals with disabilities in Indiana, see the Indiana Governor’s Planning Council for Persons with Disabilities website (http://www.in.gov/gpcpd/2328.htm) or call 317-232-7770.
Certificates of Attendance
Certificates of Attendance for 13 instructional hours will be available for free and can be used for:
- Professional Growth Plan points.
- Indiana Professional Licensing Agency Continuing Education credits for speech language pathologists, occupational therapists and occupational therapist assistants licensing requirements.
- Category I Continuing Education for Social Worker, Clinical Social Worker, Addiction Counselor, Marriage & Family Therapist, Mental Health Counselor, and Clinical Addiction Counselors licensing requirements.
- This course is offered for 1.3 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level; Professional area)
- Free BACB Type II Continuing Education units are also available. There will be a sign-in and sign-out form to verify attendance. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Cathy Pratt, BCBA-D at email@example.com
How to Register
The registration fee for this workshop is $375. All registrations are processed online by Indiana University (IU) Conferences. You may pay with a credit card or purchase order. Space is limited to 40 participants.
To register, use the IU Conferences registration link below:
Registration link: http://go.iu.edu/1tPa
All registrations are final. No money will be refunded.
The Indiana Institute on Disability and Community is committed to providing equal access to this event for all participants. If you have questions about accessibility, or have a request for alternative formats or other accommodations, please contact Lisa Bidwell, firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 855-6481 with your request at least three weeks in advance of the event. The deadline for accommodations request for this workshop is 8/17/17.
If you have questions about the workshop content, please contact Kristie Lofland (email@example.com) at 812-855-6508. All registration payment questions should be directed to IU Conferences at 800-933-9330 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For any other questions, you may contact Lisa Bidwell (email@example.com) at 812-855-6508.