Catherine Davies, M.Ed., M.Sc., LMHC and
Indiana's Only TEACCH® Certified Advanced Consultant
Details Coming Soon- Indianapolis, Indiana
Sponsored by Indiana Resource Center for Autism
In Collaboration with RISE Learning Center and
Southside Special Services of Marion County
Research consistently indicates that individuals with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) respond favorably to a structured environment. This workshop will provide participants with an understanding of how and why to implement structured teaching strategies (as developed by the TEACCH® Autism Program,) such as visual schedules, work systems and deliberately designed work materials. The workshop will emphasize practical strategies demonstrated in video and photo examples, that attendees can begin using immediately in their settings. For a more intense, hands-on workshop where the strategies are demonstrated directly with students with ASD, see our 5-Day TEACCH® training at https://www.iidc.indiana.edu/pages/teacch-5-day-classroom-training.
Workshop AgendaDay 1
Presentation of the rationale for using structured teaching and outline of the different types of structure. Within each category participants will be shown a variety of examples (video, photographs) of structured teaching in existing classrooms/situations.
Further in-depth presentation of ways to use the strategies to accurately assess where to begin teaching, develop social communication skills, and how the strategies can be used to decrease challenging behaviors.
Catherine Davies is an Educational Consultant at the Indiana Resource Center for Autism at the Indiana Institute on Disability and Community located at Indiana University, Bloomington. Catherine was a Clinical Psychologist in the UK specializing in developmental disabilities. She has over 20 years of experience working with children and adults with developmental disabilities and was a special education teacher and school psychologist. Catherine obtained her Masters in Education and subsequently another in Psychology from the University of Wales, going on to complete her professional training in Clinical Psychology with the British Psychological Society in 1998. Since relocating to the U.S., Catherine has worked as a Psychoeducational Therapist with the TEACCH® Autism Program in North Carolina supporting people with autism spectrum disorders. She was also the Clinical Director of a college program for adults with Asperger Syndrome and had a private practice as an Autism and Structured TEACCH®ing Consultant.
Date & Location
- Date: Details coming soon
- Hosted by and Location: RISE Learning Center, 5391 South Shelby Street, Indianapolis, IN 46227
Cost and Details of Workshop Day
The registration fee is $
The workshop is scheduled from 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (local time) with registration beginning at 8:00 a.m. No meals provided; water will be available.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is designed for general and special education teachers, administrators, autism consultants, speech therapists, psychologists, family members, and any other professional working with individuals with a diagnosis of an autism spectrum disorder.
- Describe the structured teaching philosophy and its relationship to other approaches such as Applied Behavior Analysis.
- Understand why structured teaching is a helpful approach for individuals with ASD.
- Organize a classroom/workspace in a structured way.
- Design individualized visual schedules and work systems for a variety of learners.
- Create visually structured tasks to address the goals of a variety of learners.
- Understand how to adapt structured teaching strategies to increase learning in any setting.
- Understand why informal assessment is essential to student progress and gain knowledge of how to address this.
- Develop an awareness of how structured teaching can be used to increase social and communication skills.
- Understand how to design structured teaching elements in order to provide a proactive approach to behavior management while also developing strategies to respond to any challenging behaviors that do occur.
Consumer Investment Funds
For information on Consumer Investment Funds for family members or individuals with disabilities in Indiana, see the Indiana Governor’s Planning Council for Persons with Disabilities website (http://www.in.gov/gpcpd/2328.htm) or call 317-232-7770.
Address of Workshop Site
RISE Learning Center
5391 South Shelby Street
Indianapolis, IN 46227
Certificates of Attendance
Certificates of attendance for 5 instructional hours will be available at no charge and can be used for:
- Professional Growth Plan points.
- Indiana Professional Licensing Agency Continuing Education credits for speech language pathologists, occupational therapists and occupational therapist assistants licensing requirements.
- Indiana Professional Licensing Agency for Category I Continuing Education hours for Social Workers (LSW), Clinical Social Workers (LCSW), Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT) , Marriage and Family Therapist Associates (LMFTA ), Mental Health Counselors (LMHC ), Mental Health Counselor Associates (LMHCA) , Addiction Counselors (LAC), and Clinical Addiction Counselors (LCAC) licensing requirements
How to Register
The two-day registration fee is $350. Payment by credit card or purchase order only. All registrations are processed online by Indiana University (IU) Conferences. You will receive an email acknowledgement of payment—that email is your confirmation and receipt. Please keep it for your records and reimbursement purposes.
To register, use the IU Conferences registration link:
All registrations are final. No money will be refunded.
If you have questions about the workshop, please contact Catherine Davies at email@example.com or 812-855-6508. Registration payment questions should be directed to Indiana University Conferences at 800-933-9330 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Indiana Institute on Disability and Community is committed to providing equal access to this event for all participants. If you have questions about accessibility, or have a request for alternative formats or other accommodations, please contact Catherine Davies (email@example.com) at 812-855-6508 with your request at least three weeks in advance of the event. Deadline for accommodations request for this workshop is coming soon.