A Statement of Solidarity
From the day CELL opened its doors over twenty years ago, our mission has been to welcome, include, educate and support all learners. Sadly, that mission is too often confounded by the structural and systemic racism that was baked into the founding of our nation. Acts of senseless violence are manifestations of the inequities and injustices that far too many people encounter on a regular basis. However much the murder of George Floyd at the hands of police might shock us, we recognize its tragic place in the history of violence against and oppression of Black Americans for over 400 years. Our work at CELL is but a small part of the critical fight against injustice. As members of the Indiana University and IIDC community, we
• Stand in solidarity with our Black colleagues.
• Reaffirm our commitment to equity and inclusion.
• Condemn those who seek to divide us based on race and ethnicity.
• Recommit to the hard work to address racism and social justice.
• Continue to stand alongside those fighting oppression tomorrow and always, and
• Encourage our colleagues to join us to find a space to discuss and act against racial injustice in our communities.