Dr. Arredondo is associate research scientist with the Center on Education and Lifelong Learning at the Indiana Institute on Disability and Community, Indiana University.
As an education equity expert, Arredondo’s current work focuses on supporting school districts in the state of Indiana systemically targeting issues of racial/ethnic disparities in school exclusion and special education identification and placement. Arredondo’s research agenda focuses on the intersectionality of race, ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation in disparities in school discipline and academic outcomes.
Arredondo holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Global and Social Studies from Antioch College, a Master’s in Applied Linguistics from Ohio University, a Master’s in Latin American & Caribbean Studies, and a Doctorate in Educational Policy with a focus on Comparative International Education from Indiana University, Bloomington.
- Educational Equity and Justice
- Equity and Social Justice Education
- Indigenous Epistemologies
- Racial/ethnic disparities in educational attainment
- Intercultural bilingual education
- Arredondo, M., & Suarez, M. (2019). Ecological determinants of child welfare and juvenile justice involvement: K-12 schooling. In K. J. Conron, & B. D. M. Wilson (Eds.), LGBTQ youth of color impacted by the child welfare and juvenile justice systems: A research agenda (pp. 21-26). The Williams Institute. https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/LGBTQ-Youth-of-Color-July-2019-3.pdf
- *Skiba, R., Arredondo, M., Gray, C., & Raush, K. (2018). Discipline disparities: New and emerging research in the United States. In J. Deakin, E. Taylor, & A. Kupchik (Eds.), The Palgrave international handbook of school discipline, surveillance and social control (pp. 235-252). Palgrave Macmillan Ltd.
- *Carter, P., Skiba, R., Arredondo, M., & Pollock, M. (2017). You can't fix what you don't look at: Acknowledging race in addressing racial disparities. Urban Education, 52(2), 207-235.
- Arredondo, M., Gray, C., Russell, S., Skiba, R., & Snapp, S. (2016). Documenting disparities for LGBT students: Expanding the collection and reporting of data on sexual orientation and gender identity. Indiana University, The Equity Project. http://rtpcollaborative.indiana.edu/briefing-papers/